Wednesday 15 December 2010

One winter's day in Annecy ..


I've never been to Annecy in the winter before - at least not in December - and I'm sure I've blogged about the town before when I visited with family over the years.  But a town always looks different when dressed for Christmas, and the below zero temperatures kind of give a 'Brothers Grimm' feel to some of the medieval buildings.  We visited yesterday ....

The flower shop above always looks as pretty as a picture but never more so than this!








It's not called the 'Venice of the Alps' without good reason...






It looks cold, it was cold ....

I love this photo!

'shabby chic' gone terribly wrong?


market stalls on the bridge covered in colourful tarpaulins to keep the chill at bay still look pretty ...


bundles of mistletoe and holly - for me this is Christmas!!!


gingerbread treats at the Christmas market ...

... as well as pretty textiles ....


.... and total cuteness!!!






 Cafe Saint Antoine is definitely worth a lunchtime visit - but get there early for a table!!

I'd never seen a french bottle dryer used as a light fitting before - definitely a glass chandelier with a difference :)


no town in France is complete without a carousel .. I think it's law :)



an old fairground organ..


The very fine La Cure Gourmande shop was the icing on the cake for my visit - just how pretty is this ?????


.... lollipops...

.... biscuits....

 ... chocolate olives ...





... and boxes and boxes of toffee ..... *sigh*


and then it started to snow and it was time to go home :)  * I love Annecy*

9 comments:

Lala's Pequenos said...

My gosh! It's like what I envision Santa Claus' home to be like!

kraplap said...

Wow ! I love all these pics. Now I want to visit Annecy too....

Annuk said...

Wonderful photo reportage!!!! And such a beautuful, romantic atmosphere...
Greetings from the other side of the Alps!
Anna

MGMart said...

Oh Pam! Annecy looks so beautiful! Thank you for the lovely photos :)
xoxo
Happy Holidays!

{Clockwork Lemon} said...

beautiful photos, i am dying to go to La Cure Gourmande now that i've seen your pictures

M.M.E. said...

So many gorgeous photos! You just keep adding new places for me to visit.

ruthie said...

Thank you, i have fallen in love with Annecy! and Budapest is now firmly on my bucket list! I love the magical feel to these posts, and so glad you had a wonderful time x wishing you a very merry christmas Pamela.

Aaron-Paul said...

Wow what an enchanting place ,Annecy is now on my to do list! Thanks so much for the gorgeous pictures and enlightening me to the beauty of Annecy , your studio in the Alps looks amazing too :-)

Sam from Hundy and Undy said...

How pretty! I'd love to go back to France in the winter sometime. I love that you were in Annecy. It was one of the random places I visited when in France on a school trip ten years ago, so it's neat to see pictures of a place so far away and recognize it. :)

hundy&undy